Sunday, June 17, 2007

Genesis c. 17

v. 17 Abraham fell facedown; he laughed and said to himself, “Will a son be born to a man a hundred years old? Will Sarah bear at the age of ninety?”

Maybe what’s funny was that at the age of hundred years Abraham was still uncircumcised. Nah, just having fun. Of course what made Abraham laughed was that at his age and at Sarah’s age, it is impossible for them to conceive a child.

Funny, funny, funny…

How many times have I laughed at God? Me do this, me does that? Me go there, me go here? Lord you know my conditions and my weaknesses will I not be that I will become funny an oddity, a stumbling block?

Funny, funny, funny…

I always laugh at God. I hope I’m not sinning but I do laugh at God. I doubted God. I doubted his abilities, I doubted his grace.

I laugh at God sometimes.

I remember Thomas. He must be laughing inside (like Abraham) when he saw a man claiming to be the risen Christ.

So the other disciples told him, "We have seen the Lord!" Thomas said to them, "Unless I see the scars of the nails in his hands and put my finger on those scars and my hand in his side, I will not believe." A week later the disciples were together again indoors, and Thomas was with them. The doors were locked, but Jesus came and stood among them and said, "Peace be with you." Then he said to Thomas, "Put your finger here, and look at my hands; then reach out your hand and put it in my side. Stop your doubting, and believe!" (John 20:25-28)


Thomas answered him, "My Lord and my God!" Maybe this is the funniest and the most powerful words that Thomas exclaimed in all of his life. Why? Thomas was a disciple and those times that Christ’s taught salvation and resurrection he thinks of himself as convinced of this truth, yet when Christ appeared to him in person he doubted.

How many times have I laughed at but I always ended up shouting my Lord my God!

I remember when I resigned from my job (my boss resigned so I had to resign also) and the first few weeks and months is so depressing that I shouted, to myself of course, “My Lord, My God help me!”

Abraham laughed because he doubted.
But God is faithful whether I doubt or not is not important as long as I have enough faith in my heart to laugh at God and to laugh at my doubts.

God keeps his promises. Though it is beyond our powers to claim them for God is sovereign.

“I am God almighty, walk before me and be blameless. I will confirm my covenant between you and me…(vs. 1-2)

No comments: