Sunday, August 5, 2007

Exodus 33

Vs. 12-17

Moses said to the Lord, “You have been telling me, ‘Lead these people,’ but you have not let me know whom you will send with me. ‘You have said, ‘I know you by name and you have found favor with me.’ If you are pleased with me, teach me to find favor with you. Remember that this nation is your people.” The Lord replied, “My presence will go with you and I will give you rest.”

Then Moses said to him, “If your presence does not go with us, do not send us up from here. How will anyone know that you are pleased with me and with your people unless you go with us? What else will distinguish me and your people from all the other people on the face of the earth?”

What else will distinguish me and your people from all the other people on the face of the earth?


The people of Israel have survived because of their belief in YHWH. YHWH has become part of their identity that to think of an Israelite who does not believe in YHWH is to think of an Israelite that is not an Israelite. When Moses came back from Mt. Sinai, he commanded the Levite to put to the sword those who denied YHWH by worshipping the golden calf.

Lord what will happen to us once you remove your presence? Moses asked God, because Moses knew that once the Lord removes his presence from the Israelites his people will not last. Either they will be vanquished or they will be absorbed by the other people. It is their belief in YHWH that makes the Israelites different that separates them from all the other nations on the face of the earth and this made them the chosen people of YHWH for YHWH had chosen them first (Gen. 12).


What else will distinguish me and your people from all the other people on the face of the earth?


Obedience, plain and simple obedience to God.

No comments: