Monday, July 9, 2007

Genesis 38


Gen 38:15 When Judah saw her, he thought that she was a prostitute, because she had her face covered.
Gen 38:16 He went over to her at the side of the road and said, "All right, how much do you charge?" (He did not know that she was his daughter-in-law.) She said, "What will you give me?"
Gen 38:17 He answered, "I will send you a young goat from my flock." She said, "All right, if you will give me something to keep as a pledge until you send the goat."
Gen 38:18 "What shall I give you as a pledge?" he asked. She answered, "Your seal with its cord and the walking stick you are carrying." He gave them to her. Then they had intercourse, and she became pregnant.
Gen 38:19 Tamar went home, took off her veil, and put her widow's clothes back on.


What is God telling me in this story? I don’t know maybe I don’t have to understand this one.

Gen 38:24 About three months later someone told Judah, "Your daughter-in-law Tamar has been acting like a whore, and now she is pregnant." Judah ordered, "Take her out and burn her to death."
Gen 38:25 As she was being taken out, she sent word to her father-in-law: "I am pregnant by the man who owns these things. Look at them and see whose they are---this seal with its cord and this walking stick."
Gen 38:26 Judah recognized them and said, "She is in the right. I have failed in my obligation to her---I should have given her to my son Shelah in marriage." And Judah never had intercourse with her again.

Tamar was accused of prostitution and when Judah found out he ordered that her daughter be taken out and burned. But he was humiliated when he found out that he was the one who made her daughter into a prostitute by sleeping with her.

How easy it is for me to pass judgment but how humiliating it is to find out later that in passing judgment I am passing judgment upon myself, like what happened to Judah.

I have failed in my obligations…I thank the Lord that it’s not late there’s still time to make up for it.


Praise the Lord for Pastor Pete Calderon’s operation. Pray for his recovery.

No comments: