Friday, July 27, 2007

Exodus 20

The Ten Commandments

Exo 20:1 God spoke, and these were his words:
Exo 20:2 "I am the LORD your God who brought you out of Egypt, where you were slaves.
Exo 20:3 "Worship no god but me.
Exo 20:4 "Do not make for yourselves images of anything in heaven or on earth or in the water under the earth.
Exo 20:5 Do not bow down to any idol or worship it, because I am the LORD your God and I tolerate no rivals. I bring punishment on those who hate me and on their descendants down to the third and fourth generation.
Exo 20:6 But I show my love to thousands of generations of those who love me and obey my laws.
Exo 20:7 "Do not use my name for evil purposes, for I, the LORD your God, will punish anyone who misuses my name.
Exo 20:8 "Observe the Sabbath and keep it holy.
Exo 20:9 You have six days in which to do your work,
Exo 20:10 but the seventh day is a day of rest dedicated to me. On that day no one is to work---neither you, your children, your slaves, your animals, nor the foreigners who live in your country.
Exo 20:11 In six days I, the LORD, made the earth, the sky, the seas, and everything in them, but on the seventh day I rested. That is why I, the LORD, blessed the Sabbath and made it holy.
Exo 20:12 "Respect your father and your mother, so that you may live a long time in the land that I am giving you.
Exo 20:13 "Do not commit murder.
Exo 20:14 "Do not commit adultery.
Exo 20:15 "Do not steal.
Exo 20:16 "Do not accuse anyone falsely.
Exo 20:17 "Do not desire another man's house; do not desire his wife, his slaves, his cattle, his donkeys, or anything else that he owns."

What can I say? Still meaningful and powerful and relevant today. Hearing some sermons and sometimes even in reading some Christian literatures, there’s this tendency to make the ten commandments non-relevant because no one can really be expected to follow them, no one can perfect them, it cannot save, Christ is the fulfillment of the law, grace abounds etc. But the ten commandments has guided God’s chosen people for almost all its existence and that, I think, should make me think twice about relegating the Ten Commandments to “simply revealing sins”--it is still a powerful guide on Christian living.

No comments: