Monday, July 23, 2007

Exodus 16

Exo 16:1 The whole Israelite community set out from Elim, and on the fifteenth day of the second month after they had left Egypt, they came to the desert of Sin, which is between Elim and Sinai.
Exo 16:2 There in the desert they all complained to Moses and Aaron
Exo 16:3 and said to them, "We wish that the LORD had killed us in Egypt. There we could at least sit down and eat meat and as much other food as we wanted. But you have brought us out into this desert to starve us all to death."
Exo 16:12 "I have heard the complaints of the Israelites. Tell them that at twilight they will have meat to eat, and in the morning they will have all the bread they want. Then they will know that I, the LORD, am their God."


God heard the Israelite’s complaining and acted on them.

Maybe complaining to God is not that bad. Maybe complaining to God about circumstances and money and all that needs and wants is not bad because the scripture says that God hears complaints and acts on them. Like the Israelites and Sarah and Ishmael’s mother, they all complained and God heard them.

Yes, there’s nothing wrong with complaining to God for God hears my complaints. The wrong here is when I think that God is obligated to hear and act upon my complaints positively and instantly. Yes, there’s the error especially if I thought of biblical verses as if the verses were magic enchantments to make God “behave favorably” to my complaints. One theologian says that this kind of thinking about God belongs to the realm of magic and technology. He’s right. Sometimes I think that my God is too small, an idol, an enchantment, a servant at my beck and call.

God hears my complaints and acts on them according to his will and his sovereignty as the true God. Faith is believing in the truth that God is sovereign and there’s nothing I can do about it.

No comments: