Saturday, September 15, 2007

Numbers 12

Num 12:1 Moses had married a Cushite woman, and Miriam and Aaron criticized him for it.
Num 12:2 They said, "Has the LORD spoken only through Moses? Hasn't he also spoken through us?" The LORD heard what they said.
Num 12:3 (Moses was a humble man, more humble than anyone else on earth.)
Num 12:4 Suddenly the LORD said to Moses, Aaron, and Miriam, "I want the three of you to come out to the Tent of my presence." They went,
Num 12:5 and the LORD came down in a pillar of cloud, stood at the entrance of the Tent, and called out, "Aaron! Miriam!" The two of them stepped forward,
Num 12:6 and the LORD said, "Now hear what I have to say! When there are prophets among you, I reveal myself to them in visions and speak to them in dreams.
Num 12:7 It is different when I speak with my servant Moses; I have put him in charge of all my people Israel.
Num 12:8 So I speak to him face-to-face, clearly and not in riddles; he has even seen my form! How dare you speak against my servant Moses?"


Miriam and Aaron resented Moses for marrying a Cushite woman. They criticized Moses but God took Moses’ side. Moses did take offense with his siblings’ behavior, which shows his humility. When God punished Miriam with leprosy, it was Moses who interceded to God for his sister’s healing.

God affirmed his anointment of Moses as the leader of Israelites and aborted the power struggle among the siblings.

No comments: